Thursday, October 9, 2014

Part 87




The first thing I really remember is the sensation of falling.  Startled I tried to  look for the tree trunk to grab.  I must have surprised him because he grabbed me and the limb he was hanging from.  When I realized it wasn't wood under me I tried to fight and found myself pinned against the tree's main trunk.

I couldn't feel most of me but I still tried to fight.  I couldn't see anything.  Then there was hands ... well, mittens ... on my face brushing the snow out of my eyes.  "Hey!  I can't get you down if you fight me.  You have to help, not knock us out of the tree."

I stopped at the sound of the voice.  The words weren't making much sense but I knew who they belonged to.  "What are you doing here?"

"No talking.  Just do your best to hold on."

So I did.  And then we were down but I couldn't stand up.  I wasn't even cold anymore, just nothing wanted to work.  Then the tarp was wrapped around me again and I thought, "He must think I'm dead.  Sitting in this snow I soon will be.  I tried to move a couple of times but nothing was doing what I told it to; I couldn't even summon the strength to talk which really would have told anyone that knew me that I was in trouble.  Then I was being dragged backwards and then into what I thought was a hole.  "Wha ... ?"

All I was doing was trying to push my hood back but he snapped, "Stop that.  You're already frozen stiff.  You want to let all your body heat out?"

So I stopped.  I kind of drifted for a while.  I felt myself being turned this way and that, then we were both still.  I had gotten used to the cold and had stopped shaking but as I lay in that tunnel my shaking started back up and it was uncontrollable.  It was so bad I was getting motion sickness.

"Argh ...." I moaned.

"Shhhh.  It's alright.  You're just warming back up.  The shaking and shivering is your body's way of getting everything moving and trying to get some heat going."

Again I asked, "What are you doing here?  The dogs are ... are ... well they're here somewhere."

He said, "No they aren't.  I shot the bastards dead.  How long did they have you treed?"

"I don't know.  What time is it?"

"Don't know and I'm not moving my arm to check.  It's sometime after midnight is all I know."

That's when I realized his arms were wrapped around me and I was closer to him than I'd ever been to another living soul except for my parents.  I would have fought but I was so tired and so cold and he wasn't doing anything.  "Wha ... ?"

"Easy, you're pretty out of it."

"Yeah.  Yeah I ... I think I am.  My head ..."  I moaned a little without meaning to.

"You're dehydrated I bet."

"Water ... inside my coat."

I felt one of his arms move and get a little personal while he searched for the water bottle.  "Sorry," he mumbled.  "Mind if I have a swig too?"

"Hey ... you're the hero."

As he held the canteen to my lips he grumbled, "Am not."

I swallowed and said "Are too."  I must have fallen unconscious after that for a bit.  At least he said I was like a dead weight and that he'd started to worry when I didn't move at all.

That's when he started doing what he did.  I woke up at some point when I felt warmth around my mouth and cheeks.  Then I moved and felt lips touch my skin.  My instincts from the city kicked in and I tried to fight and get away.  The more I fought the tighter he held me down.  Then he must have realized that I was awake.

"DeeDee ... DeeDee ... it's just me.  Take it easy."

"Get off me!"

"DeeDee ... it's ok.  No one is trying to hurt you."

"Why are you on top of me?  Why won't you let me go?!  Why are you kissing me?!!"

"Kissing you?!  If I was trying to kiss you you'd know it.  I was trying to warm you up.  That's all."

"That's what you call it?"

"Relax already.  Yeah, that's all I was doing.  I was breathing on your skin trying to keep you warm.  You were practically blue.  Your eyes didn't even move when I had the flashlight on your face.  I couldn't think what else to do.  Now hold still, you've knocked the tarp down."

My heart was trying to climb out of my chest.  I'd had men try to overpower me before, and they'd come close, but I'd never been in the position when one was actually laying on me ... or practically laying on me.  Between that and the closed in feeling of where ever we were I was having a hard time breathing.

Then he stopped and got real still.  "Hey, you're scared.  I ... I didn't mean to scare you.  Just hold tight.  Are you claustrophobic?  Is that why you dug your way out of the cabin and then left?  People think I'm crazy ... guess that makes two of us for needing to get out in the middle of a storm."

"Cochran?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm asking nice.  Can you please ... just ... just give me a little space.  You're ... you're all on top of me ... I ... I ..."

He was suddenly stiller even than he had been before and said, "Hey ... hey ... sure.  You really are scared.  Did ... I mean ... some guy ...?"

"No!"  I nearly shouted.  Then I stopped because I started shivering because he'd moved away like I'd asked.

He said, "Look, you tell me when I get too close but we need to share body heat ... give as little space for the cold to get between us as we can.  Can I ... can I move a little closer?"

I thought about it and said, "Yeah.  Yeah just don't pin my arms."

"Sure, I can do that.  How's this?"

"It's ... it's ok."  And it was.  My guy-dar usually picked up any hinky-ness from guys and Cochran wasn't even making my needle wiggle.  "What are you doing here?"

"You've asked that a couple of times.  I've explained it but I guess you weren't really listening or didn't hear me or something.  You were pretty out of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment